Teaching Code through Visual Web Design Courses
December 13, 2017
Now that coding is widely recognised as a core skillset that students should learn, schools around the world are looking for code curriculums.
Too many code courses!
There are plenty of code courses out there, but unfortunately, the vast majority are created by coders who have no teaching skill, or experience. For adult students, you can get away with that, but when it comes to middle school and high school students, you need a set of courses created by experienced teachers.
What makes a great coding course for middle school and high school students?
It comes down to a few things:
- The lessons have to be video based.
- The video lessons have to be a reasonable length, otherwise students will quickly get bored.
- A code teaching platform should provide instant feedback, and other incentives to engage students.
- Code courses should breakdown concepts into small chunks that students can learn.
- A teaching platform should provide flexible lesson plans and other materials teachers need.
- Most of all, the courses have to fun!
Why use web design to teach code?